The Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute for Texas provides high quality, nonpartisan and objective policy research and development to improve mental health services in Texas. It’s about more than funding at the state level. It’s about leveraging our resources statewide at a grassroots level – sharing best practices, making resources available, accessing information, building protocol – and then using that information to help those who need it most. It’s time to change how we think about mental health and change our state of mind.
To support the implementation of policies and programs that help Texans obtain effective, efficient mental health care when and where they need it.
For Texas to be the national leader in treating people with mental health needs.
The Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute has established five key principles that will guide the work of the Texas State of Mind initiative. These principles are the result of extensive research into the practices and policies of mental health care in Texas, and are the benchmarks by which we will expand, connect, and enhance them to improve the Texas state of mind.
- 1. Texans deserve behavioral health care that is accessible, understandable, efficient and effective.
- 2. The state of Texas and its agencies must be accountable to taxpayers for the performance of its behavioral health systems.
- 3. Behavioral health care is best delivered through local systems that are held accountable for results and able to work collaboratively to help Texans in need.
- 4. Performance evaluation of the behavioral health system must be continuous, outcome focused, and driven by meaningful data.
- 5. A skilled and robust behavioral health care workforce is essential to improve the wellness of Texans.
The Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute traces its origins to the vision of The Meadows Foundation and its philanthropic leadership throughout the State of Texas on mental health and other vital public issues.
The Meadows Foundation’s efforts to improve mental health care began several decades ago. Through partnerships with grantees, state and local governments, and other philanthropic colleagues, The Foundation has raised awareness of mental health issues, and extended help to those who need it.
Recognizing that people with mental illness can live productive and successful lives with the necessary treatment and support, in 2011 the Meadows Foundation embarked on a venture to make systemic changes as to how, when and where Texas residents receive mental health care. The Foundation engaged national consulting firms and collaborators from across Texas on the creation of a policy institute to provide guidance to local communities and state leaders on polices and programs that improve mental health outcomes. With an initial $10M grant, The Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute was formally launched on April 16th, 2014, at an event attended by hundreds of elected officials, business, non-profit and civic leaders from across Texas.